Thursday, April 24, 2008

Let's Buy Some Land!


So, after vacationing on the Outer Banks each July for close to 30 years, Carolee and I get the bright idea in early 2006 to buy some land and build a beach house. Using my outstanding Internet skills, I scour the Dare County, North Carolina website GIS to find all of the empty lots on the street where we rent a cottage each year. I write all of the owners and get only one reply from some guy who wants to totally rip me off!

Back to the drawing board! In July of 2006 we make our annual pilgrimage to Buxton with an army of relatives and lo and behold, the lot across the street from our rented cottage is for sale. I contact the real estate agent who promptly tells us the owner no longer wants to sell, BUT she has a lot for sale one street over that is beaucoup bucks cheaper!

Next thing we know it is September of 2006 and we own 7500 sq. ft. of oceanside property that is 450 feet from the beach! Who knew that a lot filled with sand and scrub brush could cost so much...but we're pumped!



No comments: